A couple of things . . .

Things have been going full speed over here. I am in the middle of trying to get my home business off the ground. It is a computer business and you can see an ad for it here. That is taking a lot of my time. I am hoping that I can get a sign made for my front yard, seeing as I live on a busy street, it should help bring in business.

I also read a great article (or should I say letter) from Steve Jobs. Whose that? Where have you been living? Mr. Jobs is the head of Apple. The guy behind some great things like . . . um . . . oh, I don't know . . . the iPod! Apple also makes some great computers too (the best, in my humble but correct opinion). Their latest 'gadget' is called the iPhone. It is an iPod, an Internet communications device, and, well, a phone all rolled up into one! It isn't available yet, but when it comes online, watch out! It will set the phone world on it's ear.

Anyway, back to the letter. In it, Mr. Jobs has thrown down a gauntlet. He is asking the recording companies to drop Digital Rights Management (DRM) from their downloadable music catalogs. He makes a very good point. Basically, the majority of music that is purchased comes without DRM. That is, most music purchases are still CDs. CDs do not have DRM and probably never will. The restriction is only on music that is downloaded. DRM is supposed to help prevent pirated music. But, honestly, how many times do people trade CDs with other people and then copy it to their computers? A lot. So the point of DRM is rather useless. And Mr. Jobs is saying that we don't need these retrictions any longer. It will be interesting to see this one unfold.

As a slight aside, I have read an interesting article (or series of articles) about how Microsoft's new OS, Vista, has DRM embedded in it. What this means is that Vista checks to see if your media has DRM, if it doesn't, it won't play it! So, all those CDs or DVDs that you have purchased legally will not work with Vista! I think this could be another key feature in the request to remove the DRM restrictions from music. But what that means for Vista, since it is embedded with the OS, is unknown.

And lastly, I have saved the best for last. A very good friend of mine, a brother really, has started a blog -- The Evenin' Shadders. It is a great site with great stories and articles. Go by and check it out. I think you will enjoy it.

Until next time, peace be with you.

+OD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'