iMac

iMacAs some of you know, I am a Geek. I own my own computer consulting business and last night was a special treat. One of my clients asked me to accompany her to purchase a new computer. And not just any computer. A brand-spanking new iMac. In case you don't know, the iMac is made by Apple Inc. It is a all-in-one design that is beautiful as well as practical. It comes in either a 20" or 24" model. My client opted for the 20" model (after much discussion). Here are the other hardware specs:

  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

  • 1GB memory

  • 320GB SATA hard drive

  • 8x double-layer SuperDrive

  • ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n wifi)

  • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

  • Apple Keyboard

  • Apple Remote

  • Mighty Mouse


Each model comes with an iSight camera (for video chat), SuperDrive (DVD burner), Mac OS X (of course), and iLife (Apple's multimedia suite), just to mention a few. She also purchased an Airport Extreme wireless base station.


As noted, the new iMac comes with the new 802.11n wireless technology. This is new technology provides up to five times the performance and up to twice the range compared to the earlier 802.11g standard.

Last night, I set up the new iMac and configured it. Next, I installed the Airport Extreme base station and installed the software. Once the iMac rebooted (which took all of 20 seconds, max), I launched the wifi config tool and set up the base station wirelessly. Yep, you read that right. In the past, when setting up a wireless router (beit Linksys or Dell or whomever) I would always have to set it up through a Cat5 ethernet cable first. Not so with the iMac! The iMac saw the base station and I set it up and then connected to it. The other cool part? Her existing WindowsXP computer was plugged into the base station via ethernet cable and I could see iMac. I copied her 'My Pictures' folder to the iMac.

Front RowWhile we were doing that, I testing Front Row. This is a really cool app that allows your Mac to become a virtual entertainment hub. With the use of the Apple Remote, you can select between iTunes, iPhoto, Videos, or DVDs. The menu becomes full screen when you select the Menu button on the remote. We put in a DVD in the slot loading Optical Drive and then selected DVD from the menu. It loaded the DVD and we were given some different options but I just select Play. Soon we were watching the trailer for 'The Nativity' (which sounded wonderful on her Bose 2.1 speakers).

I have more work to do over there today, but all-in-all, both me and my client, are excited about her new adventure.

Peace be with you.

+ OD

Comments

Anglican said…
Those new iMacs are pretty sweet. Not for me (don't like the monitor being tied to the system) but not bad at all.

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'