Jaunty Update...

Recently, I posted about the upcoming Ubuntu release, 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope.  I just wanted to give an update.

The release in now in beta with a Release Candidate scheduled for tomorrow.  So far, this release has been rock solid with only a few minor incidents.  So minor, in fact, that they only regard a couple of apps.  But what I'm really jazzed about is the 'out-of-the-box' experience I am having with this release.

As some of you know, I work in a service center now and come in contact with several different laptops -- Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, etc.  And, just for giggles, I throw in my beta CD of Jaunty.  In every case, it finds all the hardware.  I have wireless; web cam, audio, video.  Every time.  I would say that the overall experience has been one of real surprise.  I am just blown away at how well this release picks up all of this different hardware.  It is just amazing how far we have come in the Linux world.

If you haven't done so yet, I highly recommend you download this release when it hits the world next week.  It is absolutely amazing.

~~~
In the Grace of the Three in One,

OD

Comments

Charles Norrie said…
The ability of jaunty just to work out of the box is a wonderful development that has mot been properly appreciated and by having tested it on many different machines the author of this little article has done us a real service.

I hope that when karmic is rolled out, the developers ensure that it works as well as jaunty, for so much of the time updates forget forget that the experience of using an OS ought to be simply a plateau on an ever upward path.

A certain Seattle company is particularly deficient in this respect, but as far as I can see Ubuntu is exemplary. The time will come when we can ask is there anyone out there still using Windows.

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'