New Ubuntu User #2!

Okay. So the other day I posted a story about ‘Helen’ and her plunge into the Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) world of Ubuntu. Well, just yesterday afternoon, another young woman comes in to my office asking for help installing Ubuntu on her laptop along side of Windows! Was there a meeting somewhere that I missed? When I explained that it’s not officially supported, she stated, ‘It's for research in my department’. As I was helping her with the general install questions, I asked the ultimate question, ‘Why are you installing this? What research are you doing?’ She stated that the DNA app they use . . . wait for it . . . only runs in Linux!

Wow!

You could have knocked me over with a feather! So, there is at least one department that is having it’s group use Linux. And the Linux distribution of choice? Ubuntu.

That pretty much made my day. As I reflect on this, I need to contact the user and see if she needs a follow up with her install . . .


~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Jack+, LC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'