Fasting and Lent...

With this being 'Fat Tuesday' and Lent starting tomorrow with Ash Wednesday, I wanted to just touch upon this idea of fasting. For the entire time of Lent, I will be 'fasting' various things including, but not limited to, the computer (except my weekly post of the weekly collect and my monthly reflection) and most foods. But, I want to share with you an idea of fasting that you may not be familiar with. Fasting isn't necessarily about giving up food or other things. It seems that it can be more about taking care of those who are the least among us.

[This] is the kind of fasting I want: Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you. Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people. Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless. Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help (Isaiah 58.6-7).

Maybe we all know of someone who is in need of this kind of help (or, it could be one of us). Perhaps it's within our power to help them. And not just through this time of Lent but throughout the whole year.

If you interested in some very practical ways of doing just this type of thing, I highly recommend the book, Everyday Justice, by Julie Clawson.

Just some thoughts…


~~~
Jack+, LC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'