A Contemplative Smoke


As I stood waiting for my ride this morning, I was contemplating the pipe and tobacco I was smoking. The tobacco I’ve been smoking lately is Sutliff’s Edward G. Robinson’s Pipe Blend. It’s a mildly aromatic blend made up of Burley, black Cavendish, and just a pinch of Latakia. It’s topped with some dark fruit flavor (possibly plumbs) and liquor that compliments the tobacco very well. Overall, it’s a very nice, mellow smoke. It could easily be an “all-day” blend.

But what I was really thinking about was the pipe I was smoking the EGR in. It’s a Savinelli Arcobelano 626. The 626 is a bent apple shape and one of Savinelli’s most popular shapes. One can find it in just about every series Savinelli makes. This little pipe is just such a pleasure. It’s got a great shape and weight. The stats break down like this:

Length: 5.30 in./134.62 mm.
Weight: 1.30 oz./36.85 g.
Bowl Height: 1.63 in./41.40 mm.
Chamber Depth: 1.36 in./34.54 mm.
Chamber Diameter: 0.77 in./19.56 mm.
Outside Diameter: 1.50 in./38.10 mm.

One of the main reasons I like this pipe is its weight. As you’re aware, I do a lot of writing and I prefer a pipe that weighs less because I normally “clench” it (that is, keep it my mouth) instead of hold it. So the lighter the pipe the easier it is on my jaw.

But, it’s not just the weight I like about this pipe; it’s the overall aesthetic. As my mind drifted with the wafts of smoke, I was struck how this pipe was fast becoming one of my favorites. Everything about it just came into focus. It seem to be almost perfectly balanced (the stem is roughly 2.5 inches while the stummel is roughly a ¼ inch longer). The bowl and the apex of the curve of the stem are exactly the same height. It’s bypassed several other pipes I have to become one I always carry in my pipe bag (it hold three pipes). I like it so much, I’ve added a couple more of the shape in my wish list at SmokingPipes.com.

So, if you’re in the market for a nice, middle of the road, pipe — or if you’re looking into procuring your first pipe — I highly recommend a Savinelli shape 626. It’s just about the best little pipe you can get.



~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Br. Jack+, LC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'