Maundy Thursday (Year C)

1Before the Festival of Passover, Jesus knew that his time had come to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them fully.

2Jesus and his disciples were sharing the evening meal. The devil had already provoked Judas, Simon Iscariot’s son, to betray Jesus. 3Jesus knew the Father had given everything into his hands, that he’d come from God, and was returning to God. 4So he got up from the table and took off his robes. Picking up a linen towel, he tied it around his waist. 5Then he poured water into a washbasin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he was wearing. 6When Jesus came to Simon Peter, Peter said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7Jesus replied, “You don’t understand what I’m doing now, but you’ll understand later.”

8“No!” Peter said. “You’ll never wash my feet!”

Jesus replied, “Unless I wash you, you won’t have a place with me.”

9Simon Peter said, “Lord, not only my feet but also my hands and my head!”

10Jesus responded, “Those who have bathed need only to have their feet washed, because they are completely clean. You disciples are clean, but not every one of you.” 11He knew who would betray him. That’s why he said, “Not every one of you is clean.”

12After he washed the disciples’ feet, he put on his robes and returned to his place at the table. He said to them, “Do you know what I’ve done for you? 13You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you speak correctly, because I am. 14If I, your Lord and teacher, have washed your feet, you too must wash each other’s feet. 15I’ve given you an example: Just as I’ve done, you also must do. 16I assure you, servants aren’t greater than their master, nor are those who are sent greater than the one who sent them. 17Since you know these things, you’ll be happy if you do them. …

31When Judas was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Human One has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. 32If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify the Human One in himself and will glorify him immediately. 33Little children, I’m with you for a little while longer. You’ll look for me — but, just as I told the Jewish leaders, I also tell you now — ‘Where I’m going, you can’t come.’

34“I give you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I’ve loved you, so you also must love each other. 35This is how everyone will know that you’re my disciples, when you love each other.”


Collect:
All-Loving God, you sent your Child into the world, and before his hour had come,

he washed his disciples’ feet.

You gave all things into his hands. He’d come from you, and was going to you, and what did he do?

He knelt down on the floor,
and washed his friends’ feet.

He was their teacher and their Lord,

yet he washed their feet.

Loving God, help us learn from his example; help us to do as he has done for us. The world will know we’re his disciples if we love one another. Strengthen our hands and our wills for love and service. Keep before our eyes the image of your Child, who, being God, became a Servant for our sake. All glory be to him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.[2]


~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Br. Jack+, LC

~~~
[1] Scripture quotations marked (CEB) are taken from The Common English Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Common English Bible.

[2] Adapted from 8 Prayers to Pray Each Day of Holy Week by Rachel Marie Stone on iBelieve.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'