Proper 26 (Ordinary 31) (Year C)

The Prayer
Omnipotent and merciful God, it’s only by your Grace that people offer you true and laudable service: Grant that we may run without stumbling to obtain your heavenly promises; through Jesus the Christ, our Rescuer, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.


                                   


The Lessons
1The oracle that Habakkuk the prophet saw.

2 YHWH, how long will I call for help and you not listen?
I cry out to you, “Violence!”
but you don’t deliver us.
3 Why do you show me injustice and look at anguish
so that devastation and violence are before me?
There is strife, and conflict abounds.
4 The Instruction is ineffective.
Justice doesn’t endure
because the wicked surround the righteous.
Justice becomes warped.

2.1 I’ll take my post;
I’ll position myself on the fortress.
I’ll keep watch to see what the Lord says to me
and how God will respond to my complaint.

2Then the YHWH answered me and said,
Write a vision, and make it plain upon a tablet
so that a runner can read it.
3 There’s still a vision for the appointed time;
it testifies to the end;
it does not deceive.
If it delays, wait for it;
for it’s surely coming; it will not be late.
4 Some people’s desires are truly audacious;
they don’t do the right thing.
But the righteous person will live honestly.

צ TSADE
137 YHWH, you’re righteous,
and your rules are right.
138 The laws you commanded are righteous,
completely trustworthy.
139 Anger consumes me
because my enemies have forgotten what you’ve said.
140 Your word has been tried and tested;
your servant loves your word!
141 I’m insignificant and unpopular,
but I don’t forget your precepts.
142 Your righteousness lasts forever!
Your Instruction is true!
143 Stress and strain have caught up with me,
but your commandments are my joy!
144 Your laws are righteous forever.
Help me understand so I can live!

1From Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy:

To the assembly of the Thessalonians, which is in God our Father, and Lord Jesus the Anointed.

2Grace and peace to all of you from God our Father and Lord Jesus the Anointed.

3Sisters and brothers, we must always thank God for you. This is only right because your faithfulness is growing by leaps and bounds, and the love that all of you have for each other is increasing. 4That’s why we’re bragging about you in God’s assemblies. We tell about your endurance and faithfulness in all the harassments and trouble that you’ve put up with … 

11We’re constantly praying this for you: that God will make you worthy of the calling and accomplish every good desire and faithful work by God’s power. 12Then the name of our Lord Jesus will be honored by you, and you’ll be honored by him, consistent with the grace of our God and Lord Jesus the Anointed.

1Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through town. 2A man there named Zacchaeus, a ruler among tax collectors, was rich. 3He was trying to see who Jesus was, but, being a short man, he couldn’t because of the crowd. 4So he ran ahead and climbed up a sycamore tree so he could see Jesus, who was about to pass that way. 5When Jesus came to that spot, he looked up and said, “Zacchaeus, come down at once. I must stay in your home today.” 6So Zacchaeus came down at once, happy to welcome Jesus.

7Everyone who saw this grumbled, saying, “He’s gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

8Zacchaeus stopped and said to Jesus, “Look, Lord, I give half of my possessions to the poor. And if I’ve cheated anyone, I repay them four times as much.”

9Jesus said to him, “Today, salvation has come to this household because he, too, is a son of Abraham. 10The Human One came to seek and save what’s been lost.”



~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Br. Jack+, LC

_________
[1] Scripture quotations marked (CEB) are taken from The Common English Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Common English Bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

Didache - Chapter 7