Flock Test


This is a test of the new web browser Flock. It is a Mozilla creation (who isn't these days!) and is geared toward web sharing. That is, pictures, news, etc. One of the features is blogging. If you have an account with Wordpress, Typepad, Movable Type, LiveJournal, Drupal, or Blogger, you can have an editor that includes everything that the usual suspects need from a toolbar, or you can change to the source tab and do all of the stuff yourself through HTML. While the editor toolbar doesn't have all the added features as the Wordpress extra toolbar, the basics are there. As you can see in the screen shot, it looks fairly simple. This post was created using the blog feature within Flock.

flock-snapshot.png

Peace be with you.

+ OD

Comments

Anglican said…
Looking forward to your thoughts about using Flock. I tinkered with it in a very early beta (or maybe alpha?) but it didn't do much for me. I'm so enamored with Firefox that I don't envision changing my browser any time soon. Even so, I'm always interested in your take on new shiny, happy tech things.
Odysseus said…
Thanks for the reply Anglican!

I'm not overly impressed either. I have seen this type of thing before (heck, there is at least one plugin for Firefox that allows you to make blog posts) but they all have the same limitations (or I have the limitation for not figuring it out). For example, in the post itself, I could only add one picture, and it didn't take the formatting quite right. And I have never found out how I can save a blog to the site, without publishing it. But that is not what I use my browser for, in the first place. I mean, if this was what I was needing, and I found myself repeating the services that they offer with it, then, sure, I might make a run of it. As it stands, however, I'm not really into their idea of 'sharing'. You are locked into using the services they have, e.g., you can't use your own server for publishing your pictures, etc. I think what they have done is take all of the separate things (some) people do on the web to socialize and put them in one simple web browser. It has a couple of gimmicks, grated, but I think it is a niche app. It will only have a small following and will never take the place of one of the top browsers around; it's older sibling, Firefox.

Peace be with you.

+ OD

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'