A Shaving “Ah...” Moment

Last Christmas, I received the Parker Variant razor. It’s a two-piece, adjustable razor. What that means is that one turns the bottom dial to unscrew the top cap of the head to insert the blade. Once the blade has been inserted, it’s screwed back into the razor. One also turns the dial at the bottom of the razor between settings 1 - 5+ to adjust the blade gap of the head. (It sounds more complicated than it really is.) I’ve been using this razor exclusively since then. And like every new razor, one has to adjust to the way it shaves — how it handles the blade exposure, the angle of the razor head to one’s face, the weight and balance of the razor, etc. (This, too, sounds more complicated that it is.) Generally, it just takes a couple of passes before one works out the way the new razor performs. And the learning curve with the Parker Variant was no exception.

Recently, I was talking with a colleague in our building and the conversation turned to shaving (I know, that’s kind of a strange topic). After a brief chat, I suggested he try using a DE razor and all of the associated kit — soap or cream, brush, blades, aftershave, balm, etc. I sent him some links and coupons for Wet Shaving Products (they’ve become by go-to for soaps, creams, etc.). He ordered a shaving kit and started his journey.

I check in from time to time to see how he’s progressing. He’s ordered some sample soaps to try and is thinking about getting a different brush and possibly a different razor.

I’ve been telling him about my Parker Variant razor. “The way I use it,” I explained, “is I dial in to how many days growth I have. For example, if I haven’t shaved in three days, I’ll dial the Parker Variant to a 3. On the next pass, I’ll dial it down to a 2. And then, on the final pass and pickups, I’ll dial it down to a 1.”

“Oh! That sounds interesting. I’d like to try an adjustable razor.”

“You know, you can pick up a classic Gillette ‘Fatboy’ or ‘Slim Adjustable’ at an antique store or flea market for less than $20 usually.”

“That’s a good idea!”

“I tell you what. I’ve got a ‘Fatboy’ I had cleaned up from Razor Emporium (they do great work). I’ll loan it to you for a couple of weeks. That way you can see how you like using an adjustable razor.”

“Really? That’d be great!”

So, after I sanitized the razor, I loaned it to him last week. He’s been really enjoying it!

While he was doing that, I thought I’d go back to my first DE safety razor — Maggard Razors’ MR1. I shaved yesterday morning with a Personna blade on its 3rd use (I purchased a pack of 100 last April and still have a lot to use). I did my normal 3 pass shave with pickups.

And it was rough.

Perhaps it was the blade, but I normally get about 5 days out of Personna blades. I didn’t get any nicks or weepers or anything like that but my neck just felt raw and the shave wasn’t that close. The blade exposure seemed more aggressive than I remember.

Whatever it was I switched back to my Parker Variant this morning. Ah, what a difference! The Parker Variant is such a comfortable razor! Even though my neck is still a little raw from yesterday’s shave, it gave me no discomfort at all. Just a nice, gentle shave.

So while my colleague contemplates getting his own adjustable razor, I think I’ll stick to using my Parker Variant. It’s just been the best razor I’ve ever used.



~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Br. Jack+, LC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'