Happy Birthday — ish

Like a lot of traditional wet shavers, I have some vintage Gillette razors in my rotation. I have a very early Tech (the one with the triangle slots in the guard), a 1965 Flare Tip (that’s my birth year), a couple of Travel Techs, a Super Speed, and some Adjustables. But the one thing Ive wanted and couldn’t ever seem to get is a Slim Adjustable (K3), my birth year and quarter. I scoured the Interwebs for years to find one but they were mostly non-existent. The ones I did find were either too beat up or too expensive.


But then it was Christmas 2020.


While searching through eBay I actually came across a decent Slim Adjustable (K3) for a pretty good price so I bought it with some money I received as a Christmas present. When the razor arrived, I gave it a good once over. There was some greening on the handle and head (meaning the brass was showing) but the doors worked well and so did the adjustment dial. The knurling on the handle was a little less than I had hoped though; it just didn’t feel that grippy. In fact, it felt rather smooth. But no matter. I then used the Christmas present from my wife and sent the Slim Adjustable off to Razor Emporium for their Revamp Service.


The Revamp Service is just what it sounds like — Razor Emporium takes your old vintage razor and puts it back to like new condition. It’s a very detailed process that takes about three weeks to complete. They clean the razor, fix any mechanical issues (where possible), strip off the old plating, resurface the metal, replate the razor, do any painting and lubricating that needs doing, sanitize it again, and then test it to make sure it works as intended. And they do all this in house!


Here are some before and after pictures of my razor. The before pictures are from the eBay listing and the after pictures are mine.


 


 


 


 


 


As you can see, the results are quite stunning. And the knurling on the handle is a major improvement! It’s now very grippy and has a nice texture to it. My razor looks, performs, and feels like I imagine it would if it were purchased new. I highly recommend Razor Emporium for your vintage razor restoration. Their work is just outstanding. 


So Merry Christmas to me and since the Slim Adjustable is my birth year and quarter, Happy Birthday-ish to me, too.




~~~

In the Love of the Three in One,


Br. Jack+, LC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'