Traditional Wet Shaving Discovery

When I first started my traditional wet shaving journey several years ago, my wife gave me a really nice Sandalwood shaving soap from the Art of Shaving. It came in a really beautiful, wooden bowl and smelled amazing!


But…


When I used the soap, it really irritated my skin. The first pass was fine but the second pass made my skin burn a little bit. When I tried a third pass, I had to wash off the soap immediately. My skin was all red like I had been scalded. Ever since then, I’ve only used fragrance free soap.


A few months back, I tried that soap again thinking that my skin had probably toughened up after all these years. While my skin might have gotten better, the soap still burned me so I just stuck in the cabinet.


I should note that hundreds of other traditional wet shavers don’t have that reaction to the Art of Shaving’s Sandalwood shave soap. I’m just one of those people that has a bad reaction to it. Furthermore, others have bad reactions to other soaps or creams. In a recent video, Kevy had a very similar reaction from Pinnacle Grooming’s Krampus. Pinnacle Grooming reached out to Kevy and stated that the probable cause for his reaction was the cinnamon used in the soap.[1]


Anyway, I figured I’d never be able to use a scented soap and that was fine. The Scentsless CK-6 formulated soap from Phoenix Shaving is a fantastic soap and has been my daily driver for over a year.


This Christmas I received a gift card from Phoenix Shaving and had enough points in their Loyalty Program to get a discount on the soap and aftershave/cologne bundle. However, they were out of stock on the Scentsless soap! I had a choice to make — wait for Scentsless to come back in stock or attempt to use a scented soap. I bit the bullet and got the Sangre De Drago bundle as I wanted to add another bottle of the aftershave/cologne to my collection (it has become my “signature fragrance”). I figured I’d wait until I finished off this tub of Scentsless before trying out the Sangre De Drago soap.


However, as I was commenting on a JohnShaves101 video about getting this bundle I realized I should probably try the Sangre De Drago soap before I run out of the Scentsless. That way, if the soap burned me as I expected it to, I can order another Scentless and give the Sangre De Drago soap to someone else.


So I tried it this morning…


And it was amazing! 


No irritation whatsoever, just a very pleasant shaving experience. Like all of the CK-6 formulated soaps I’ve tried before, the soap was slick, provided plenty of protection, and left my face feeling moisturized while the Sangre De Drago scent profile filled up the bathroom. Thanks to Fran and Doug for a wonderful experience. Now I don’t have to worry about burning my face off to get a great shave.



~~~

In the Love of the Three in One,


Br. Jack+, LC


_________

[1] It’s always recommended to test the soap, cream, aftershave on part of your skin to see how it might react, like on the neck or behind an ear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'