Pipe Spotlight: Peterson’s System Standard 314

The next pipe I want to spotlight in this series is my Peterson’s System Standard 314. I’ve had this pipe for so long I don’t remember when I got it! I’m fairly sure I purchased it from Cup O’ Joes as that was my primary source for online pipes and tobaccos when I first started smoking a pipe.



According to Mark Irwin over at Peterson Pipe Notes, the 314 was one of the original Patent shapes. The 314 is described as a “medium bent billiard,” and while I get the bent billiard part, the “medium” is a little bit of a stretch, to me anyway.

Looking at the numbers from Peterson of Dublin, I compared 3 of the 6 pipes listed on Mark’s post, A Guide to System Shapes, 1896 – 2019, Part 1 (The 300 Shape Group)307, 312, 314. Their sizes are as follows:

307
312
314
Length
144mm
152mm
124mm
Height
51mm
50mm
45mm
Outside Diameter
40mm
36mm
36mm
Chamber Diameter
20mm
19mm
18mm
Chamber Depth
41mm
40mm
37mm
Weight
63g
50g
48g

From the 1955 Tri-Fold Brochure as seen on Mark’s post, the 307 is a large billiard shape. The 312 is a medium / large billiard shape. And the 314 is a medium billiard shape. I guess, based on the above information, the difference between a large System Standard pipe and a medium System Standard pipe is roughly 4 - 6 millimeters! Look at the pictures of my 314 compared to my 312 and you can see just how much of a difference there is between these two pipes.



All of this to say my 314 is rather compact and the smallest System pipe I own. It’s just about the perfect size for walking to the bus stop from my home (about a 10-15 minute walk). This is another one of the pipes I generally take with me when I’m out lunting.[1] Since it’s a smaller bowl I can just put it a jacket pocket when I need to. And because a System pipe uses a military mount, I can break it down, even while it’s hot, and not worry about it damaging my pipe.[2]


That’s my Peterson System Standard 314. Until next time —  



~~~
Keep it smokey, friends, 

Br. Jack+, LC
Your #pipesmokingpriest

_________
[1] “Lunting” means walking around while smoking a pipe.

[2] Which is true of all pipes with military mounts, not just System pipes. For those who may not know, a military mount (sometimes called an “army mount”) has a metal band (ferrule) around the mortise which prevents damage to the mortise. This is generally paired with a tapered, push-style stem allowing only a small amount of the tenon to contact the mortise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'