Proper 22 (27) (Year C)


The Prayer:

All-Loving God, you’re always more ready to hear than we to pray, and to give more than we either desire or deserve: Pour upon us the abundance of your mercy, forgiving us those things of which our conscience is afraid, and giving us those good things for which we’re not worthy to ask, except through the merits and mediation of Jesus the Christ our Savior; who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.


                                   


The Lessons:
1 Oh, no!
She sits alone, the city that was once full of people.
Once great among nations, she’s become like a widow.
Once a queen over provinces, she’s become a slave.
2 She weeps bitterly in the night, her tears on her cheek.
None of her lovers comfort her.
All her friends lied to her;
they’ve become her enemies.
3 Judah was exiled after suffering and hard service.
She lives among the nations; she finds no rest.
All who were chasing her caught her —
right in the middle of her distress.
4 Zion’s roads are in mourning; no one comes to the festivals.
All her gates are deserted. Her priests are groaning,
her young women grieving. She’s bitter.
5 Her adversaries have become rulers; her enemies relax.
Certainly Yahweh caused her grief because of her
many wrong acts.
Her children have gone away, captive before the enemy.
6 Daughter Zion lost all her glory.
Her officials are like deer that can’t find pasture.
They’ve gone away, frail, before the hunter.

19 The memory of my suffering and homelessness
is bitterness and poison.
20 I can’t help but remember and am depressed.
21 I call all this to mind — therefore, I’ll wait.

22 Certainly the faithful love of Yahweh hasn’t ended;
certainly God’s compassion isn’t through!
23 They’re renewed every morning. Great is your faithfulness.
24 I think: Yahweh’s my portion! Therefore, I’ll wait for Yahweh.

25 Yahweh’s good to those who hope in God,
to the person who seeks Yahweh.
26 It’s good to wait in silence for Yahweh’s deliverance.

1From Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by God’s will, to promote the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus.

2To Timothy, my dear child.

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

3I’m grateful to God, whom I serve with a good conscience as my ancestors did. I constantly remember you in my prayers day and night. 4When I remember your tears, I long to see you so that I can be filled with happiness. 5I’m reminded of your authentic faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice. I’m sure that this faith is also inside you. 6Because of this, I’m reminding you to revive God’s gift that’s in you through the laying on of my hands. 7God didn’t give us a spirit that’s timid but one that’s powerful, loving, and self-controlled.

8So don’t be ashamed of the testimony about the Lord or of me, his prisoner. Instead, share the suffering for the good news, depending on God’s power. 9God’s the one who saved and called us with a holy calling. This wasn’t based on what we’ve done, but it was based on God’s own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began. 10Now God’s grace is revealed through the appearance of our savior, Christ Jesus. Christ destroyed death and brought life and immortality into clear focus through the good news. 11I was appointed a messenger, apostle, and teacher of this good news. 12This is also why I’m suffering the way I do, but I’m not ashamed. I know the one in whom I’ve placed my trust. I’m convinced that God’s powerful enough to protect what was placed in my trust until that day. 13Hold on to the pattern of sound teaching that you heard from me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 14Protect this good thing that’s been placed in your trust through the Holy Spirit who lives in us.

5The apostles said to Jesus, “Increase our faith!”

6The Lord replied, “If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.

7“Would any of you say to your servant, who had just come in from the field after plowing or tending sheep, ‘Come! Sit down for dinner’? 8Wouldn’t you say instead, ‘Fix my dinner. Put on the clothes of a table servant and wait on me while I eat and drink. After that, you can eat and drink’? 9You won’t thank the servant because the servant did what you asked, will you? 10In the same way, when you’ve done everything required of you, you should say, ‘We servants deserve no special praise. We’ve only done our duty.’”



~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Br. Jack+, LC

_________
[1] Scripture quotations marked (CEB) are taken from The Common English Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Common English Bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'