Proper 24 (29) (Year C)

The Prayer
All-Loving and everlasting God, in Christ you have revealed your glory among the nations: Preserve the works of your mercy, that your people throughout the world may persevere with steadfast faith in the confession of your Name; through Jesus the Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and ever, and unto the ages. Amen.


                                   


The Lessons
27The time’s coming, declares Yahweh, when I’ll plant seeds in Israel and Judah, and both people and animals will spring up. 28Just as I watched over them to dig up and pull down, to overthrow, destroy, and bring harm, so I’ll watch over them to build and plant, declares the Lord. 29In those days, people will no longer say:

Sour grapes eaten by parents
leave a bitter taste in the mouths of their children.
30 Because everyone will die for their own sins:
whoever eats sour grapes
will have a bitter taste in their own mouths.

31The time is coming, declares Yahweh, when I’ll make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. 32It won’t be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt. They broke that covenant with me even though I was their husband, declares Yahweh. 33No, this is the covenant that I’ll make with the people of Israel after that time, declares Yahweh. I’ll put my Instructions within them and engrave them on their hearts. I’ll be their God, and they’ll be my people. 34They’ll no longer need to teach each other to say, “Know the Lord!” because they’ll all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares Yahweh; for I’ll forgive their wrongdoing and never again remember their sins.

מ MEM

97 I love your Instruction!
I think about it constantly.
98 Your commandment makes me wiser than my enemies
because it’s always with me.
99 I have greater insight than all my teachers
because I contemplate your laws.
100 I have more understanding than the elders
because I guard your precepts.
101 I haven’t set my feet on any evil path
so I can make sure to keep your word.
102 I haven’t deviated from any of your rules
because you’re the one who has taught me.
103 Your word is so pleasing to my taste buds —
it’s sweeter than honey in my mouth!
104 I’m studying your precepts —
that’s why I hate every false path.

14But you must continue with the things you’ve learned and found convincing. You know who taught you. 15Since childhood you’ve known the holy scriptures that help you to be wise in a way that leads to salvation through faith that is in Christ Jesus. 16Every scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for showing mistakes, for correcting, and for training character, 17so that the person who belongs to God can be equipped to do everything that’s good.

1I’m giving you this commission in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who’s coming to judge the living and the dead, and by his appearance and his kingdom. 2Preach the word. Be ready to do it whether it’s convenient or inconvenient. Correct, confront, and encourage with patience and instruction. 3There will come a time when people won’t tolerate sound teaching. They’ll collect teachers who say what they want to hear because they’re self-centered. 4They’ll turn their back on the truth and turn to myths. 5But you must keep control of yourself in all circumstances. Endure suffering, do the work of a preacher of the good news, and carry out your service fully.

1Jesus was telling them a parable about their need to pray continuously and not to be discouraged. 2He said, “In a certain city there was a judge who neither feared God nor respected people. 3In that city there was a widow who kept coming to him, asking, ‘Give me justice in this case against my adversary.’ 4For a while he refused but finally said to himself, ‘I don’t fear God or respect people, 5but I’ll give this widow justice because she keeps bothering me. Otherwise, there will be no end to her coming here and embarrassing me.’” 6The Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7Won’t God provide justice to God’s chosen people who cry out day and night? Will God be slow to help them? 8I tell you, God will give them justice quickly. But when the Human One comes, will he find faithfulness on earth?”



~~~
In the Love of the Three in One,

Br. Jack+, LC

_________
[1] Scripture quotations marked (CEB) are taken from The Common English Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Common English Bible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'