From my old blog . . . 02.22.06

New Name . . .

It was there the whole time and I just didn't see it. 'Odysseus'. From whence I took 'Odyssey', from Homer's Illiad and Odyssey. Odyssey is the story of Odysseus and his journey home after fighting in the Trojan War. Basically, he yearns to get home but is sidetracked along the way for pretty much the entire journey. That is the way I feel a lot of the time. I long to follow Jesus wherever he leads, but I find myself sidetracked. Tossed, as it were, with every wind that comes along, while all the while I yearn for simple, holistic, balanced faith. I get knocked off course (pretty much by my own doing) and struggle to get back on course.

Furthermore, according to Homer, Odysseus means 'pain'. And I have experienced that on many different levels (who hasn't). It also reminds me of The King of Pain by The Police, though I wouldn't classify myself with such a title. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would wear that crown.

No, for now, I will stick with the Greek meaning of the term, 'a guide; the one showing the way'. That's all I long to be.

May mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance.

+OD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linux Mint 5

Series: New Testament Eschatology

'Sick to my guts...'